Sunday, February 6, 2011

Happiness = Creativity

For those of you who don't know, I just graduated with a Master's degree in Technology and Innovation Management from the University of Queensland. Now, as exciting as it is to be a graduate...it is also the beginning of a period where one has to find/create a job for oneself.

In the few weeks that have passed since my awesome graduation ceremony ( In my head it compred to the Oscar Awards), I have been talking to people and trying to figure out what I should really be doing with my life. This was because i potentially had 3 different fields I could be working in, and I wanted to choose the right one, for the right reasons.

Now, my game plan was to talk to people who looked happy in their jobs and figure out how they reached the decision of - " this is what i really want to do with my life" !! From the little bit of talking that I did, i met a girl who finished her PhD in neuroscience and is now gone to persue nursing ( coz that's what she really wants to do), a young man who dropped being an executive at Woolworths to be a lecturer at Uni ( coz that's he really wanted to do) and a 50 year old man who was happy driving trucks because he was happy to do just that.

It seemed that happiness was a large factor in their decisions. All of them echoed that they were more creative and ready to do as much work as possible BECAUSE they loved every minute of what they was doing.

And then, I chanced upon this video:

What is being creative? from Kristian Ulrich Larsen on Vimeo.


Once you get over how cool the phone is from the video, the things they say in the end, answers all my questions about what i should pursue in order to be the most creative person i can be.

It says:
-Creativity is happiness
-Creativity is trying new things and then failing
- It is about not following the beaten path
-And most importantly it is about taking the risk and following your heart.

So here is to taking that risk and pursuing a career on a path that is "not-often-taken"


1 comment:

Tim Kastelle said...

Good luck Rohini!

I made a big career change in my late 30s - and also did it to be doing something that makes me happier. Smartest move I ever made. I hope you find something too that you really enjoy doing.