Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Being Compassionate to yourself

From a very young age, I was brought up with the notion that if stuff went wrong (sometimes terribly wrong)- looking backward, particularly towards a time of difficulty and pain is both a failure of will and a waste of time. This idea stemmed largely from the sentiment "What's done is done" and that lamenting over a situation we cannot change is a waste of time and energy. 


That was until I watched this fabulous TED talk on Arati's blog. 





I love how Kathyrn Shulz says "The point isn't to live without any regrets, the point is to not hate ourselves for having them… We need to learn to love the flawed, imperfect things that we create, and to forgive ourselves for creating them. Regret doesn't remind us that we did badly — it reminds us that we know we can do better.”


Ah. Being compassionate to ourselves. One of the hardest things to achieve. 

3 comments:

Rohan said...

Thanks for the quote summary.

One of the things I'm learning as a blogger who posts videos every once in a while is that it helps to keep a summary. Often, we don't have the time/energy/bandwidth to check out a 20 minute video (even if it's certified great).. it helps to atleast understand what the other person got from it.

So, this is very helpful! :)

Ali Adil said...

Thank you for sharing this...changed the way I used to think!

Rohbot said...

Your welcome Ali. I am glad you enjoyed it. It caused quite a change in my thinking too, and lead to some very interesting discussions with my co-workers :)