Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Happy New Year


I took two and a half weeks off at the end of the year to rejuvenate, reflect and welcome the new year. The longish break from regular blogging was a chance for me to reflect on many things, but one that stood out was...why people read blogs and, as a corollary, how we blog.
There are a bunch of basic reasons people are reading  blogs: 
  1. To stay up to speed on their industry (or an industry they’d like to be part of)
  2. To find interesting content that they otherwise wouldn’t stumble across
  3. To be entertained
  4. To get useful tips of one sort or another.

But I think most people want more than just that basic gist. I think most people want to hear your voice, hear what you have to say that only you can say.  Hear something that they wouldn’t hear anywhere else – something that inspires them, challenges them, pushes their thinking.  Something that sharpens their focus, or even changes their paradigm altogether.
In all honesty though..... I don’t know how to be infinitely inspirational, and you probably don’t either – even the notion of trying to do that seems like a fabulous way to create writers block. 

What I do know is how to try and show up every day, to say something that I think is relevant and about which I have a unique perspective. And every so often, when everything goes right, something exceptional comes out.  I don’t know how or when....But I do know that the only way it can happen is if I keep on showing up – knowing that some days I connect, some days I miss, and once in a while something great happens.
So here’s to another year of aiming high.  Thanks for taking this ride with me, and I wish you a great 2012

1 comment:

Rohan said...

Indeed! Happy new year! :)